New Member joins the team


I'm very proud to announce that we have a new member joining the TRIO, the Mac Classic!

The Macintosh Classic joins the TRIO

I got this Macintosh Classic some 15 years ago (or so) from a pile of scrap at Rua Vitória, near Santa Ifigênia where I and Armando used to go to dig stuff out. He had a brother too, but that Mac was injured beyond repair and could only provide some parts (you will be hearing more about him in the future).

For some time it worked fine, until a time came where things were difficult and it ended up in my dad's garage on a shelf for some years (can't remember how long).

Then I moved to a bigger house and rescued him.

The board was all dirty and it had to be washed. Yes, washed. I washed it with liquid detergent in a big tray and left it there for a day. Then about 7 days drying, not directly in the sun, but in the shadow (and wind).
I replaced all the capacitors on the board and the bad ones on the analog board that were leaking. Very easy to do, just inspect the boards very carefully, looking for stains. This link was very helpful:
http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~shamada/fullmac/repairEng.html#SimasiMac

The floppy wasn't working (ejecting) either. That was hard to fix. I found out the only problem was lubrication on the joints. Drop of machine oil and some exercise (inserting and ejecting) did the trick. This is good for the problem of a Macintosh Classic swallowing the floppy and not being strong enough to eject it. Joints are full of dust mixed with grease. You need to clean them and lubricate them. It worked.

Once it was all done, then hit the power button: boot loop. He would jus keep booting and rebooting.
After some cycles he would finally stabilize.

This all happened about a year ago, then I decided to work on that Mac again.

I had made a System 7.5.3 boot floppy long ago and was going to use it again. When I inserted in the Mac last week and  turned the power on, he gave me the checker board screen for 3 seconds and straight into the happy mac icon. He booted! The boot loop was gone! I can only think there were still places where the board was not completely dry.
I left him on for two days and he just stayed there, brave. I knew he was back.

Yesterday I started to get software to the Macintosh Classic. Since he doesn't have a Hard Disk, I'm using a internal floppy drive and an external 800k Apple floppy drive I got at mercadolivre.com! Unfortunately the ejecting mechanism is broken (need a new small gear that activates the ejector)

800kB Apple Floppy Drive

So I started my research on getting a System 7.1 Boot floppy ready, with Local Talk capabilities.

On CC1 I booted System 7.1 via ZIP drive (the external iomega 250MB). In the CDROM drive I had the Apple Legacy Recovery CD with System 7.1. I used the Net script to automatically mount the disk images for System 7.1 and created a Floppy Disk with only the System Folder, with the minimum system for the Macintosh Classic. In that folder I had:

In the Extension's Folder:

  • Networking Extension
  • Appleshare

In the Apple Menu Items' Folder:

  • Chooser

That's all!

It took sometime to get it right because there is only so much you can fit on a floppy. You won't need the Networking control panel or the File Sharing Extension either. Stick to the formula above.

It booted and it Worked! I got Local talk in the Chooser and could connect to CC1, my Colour Classic.


The Macintosh Classic is now connected to CC1 and can access shares on CC1.

I'm so happy to have the Classic working again and networked!!

Welcome to the team, Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment